As you know… I LOVE my essential oils. I love to read about their historical past and how ancient people used them. I love how they smell and how they make me feel uplifted and energetic. I LOVE that they WORK and they help everyone in my family (including the dog) to feel better, be healthier, and happier!
If you’re new (or not ) to oils I’ve created a list of 10 tips to you should know before starting out.
- Using essential oils is also called Aromatherapy. It literally means “treatment using scents”. In the 1920’s French chemist Rene Maurice Gattefosse, while studying plant oils “re-discovered” their healing properties and coined the term “aromatherapie”.
- Each oil has it’s own unique chemical make up- which gives it it’s unique scent and healing properties.
- When applied to the skin they begin to work immediately and travel throughout the blood stream.
- Oils affect the entire body- they elevate mood and restore physical health at the same time.
- They were used in ancient Egypt, China, and Greece. In fact the father of modern medicine Hippocrates used them in his practice.
- It is believed by historians that they made their way to Western Europe in the Middle Ages with Crusaders returning home from the Crusades.
- They should be stored in dark glass bottles and kept away from heat and light. Heat, light, and plastic will make them less potent.
- They are all antiseptic.
- When applying to your skin always use a carrier oil (i.e. coconut oil)
- They are entirely NATURAL! They are distilled or pressed from the leaves, petals, roots or bark of a plant.
Questions or comments? I’d be glad to hear from you!! Leave a comment below and I’ll be sure to get back to you.