My absolute FAVORITE food is PIZZA- it’s been my love since girlhood and I’ve never outgrown it (I don’t plan on it either)! The recipe that I make for my pizza dough uses einkorn wheat flour. If you don’t know what einkorn is click HERE to read my einkorn post. Working with einkorn is slightly different than regular flour- it’s a little stickier and it takes longer to absorb liquid. “Einkorn: Recipes For Nature’s Original Wheat” by Carla Bartolucci is my go to einkorn cook book. It’s pretty much the must have guide to baking with einkorn- if you plan on getting serious with einkorn buy her book!
Einkorn Pizza Dough
by: Carla Bartolucci (from her book- “Einkorn”)
*In her book she calls the dough- “Neapolitan Pizza Margherita”. The dough is light and flaky and amazing when you roll it out really thin. You can make 6 individual pizzas or 2 medium/large size pizzas with this recipe. I use active dry yeast in the recipe, but you can make it with sourdough starter. I haven’t tried it with sourdough starter yet- still maturing my starter- as soon as I do I’ll post results :).
1/4 tsp active dry yeast (I use Fleischmann’s)
1 1/4 cups warm water
4 3/4 all purpose einkorn flour, plus more for dusting
2 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
make the dough:
- Mix the yeast and the water together until creamy. Next, add the flour, sprinkle the salt on top and then mix together as much as you can. Mix the rest of the way using your fingers by squeezing the dough. Once it holds together and all the flour is used; transfer it to a floured work surface and begin kneading the dough for 2 minutes. Once it is smooth and a little sticky put it back in the mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Set aside and let it rise at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours. You can also let it rise in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Dust a cookie sheet with flour, divide your dough either into 6 individual balls or 2, depending on how many pizzas you want to make. Place the dough balls on the floured cookie sheet and cover with oiled plastic wrap (so the dough doesn’t stick to the plastic wrap). Let the dough rest and rise for an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees F, while it’s preheating put the cookie sheets you will use for baking your pizza in the oven. Preheating them will make your pizza come out perfectly crispy on the bottom.
- Roll out your dough on a floured piece of parchment paper. Gently lift the dough up of the paper- einkorn is sticky and it can be a little tricky to get it off the paper. I use a floured spatula to help peel it off the parchment paper.
- Place your crust on one of the preheated cookie sheets and top however you choose!! Bake the pizza for about 8 mins until the edges of the crust are golden brown and your cheese is bubbly!
- Eat the BEST homemade pizza you have ever tasted!!